Recorded for 2110 Quincentennial…For Great-Grandchildren to See, originally uploaded by John Guy2010.
Photos and information were provided by Michael Wilkshire, Memorial University.
The Symposium, which was jointly sponsored by the Newfoundland Historical Society and Cupids Historical Society, with support from CUPIDS 400 and The Rooms Provincial Museum Division, continued on September 25th in Cupids.
The title of the symposium is basted on Henry Crout’s weather diary ‘Occurrents in Newfoundland’ for September 4, 1612 – “In the morning we proceeded Farther through verie faire woodes passing faire lakes and freshe rivers.”
The Symposium, which began at the The Rooms, continued the following day in Cupids. Delegates were greeted by John Guy who declared the Symposium open. Newfoundland Historic Society President Larry Coady and Harold Akerman of the Cupids Heritage Society gave opening comments.
Kathi Stacey, Cultural Tourism Officer for Cupids 400, was chair of the morning session and introduced the first two presentations. William Gilbert, chief archaeologist with the Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation, shared part of his vast knowledge of local archaeology with his talk “To dwell in this Country and Live here”: Historical Archaeology in Cupids, Newfoundland. Next was a two-part presentation by Chesley Sanger and Gordon Handcock (Professors Emeritus, Dept. of Geography Memorial University) with the title John Guy of Bristol and Newfoundland . They discussed their work in finishing the manuscript of the late Alan Williams on John Guy; they hope to have the book ready in the near future. Chesley Sanger presented, while Gordon Handcock answered a question from the audience.
William Gilbert – Chief Archaeologist, Baccalieu Trail Heritage Corporation
Monument to Commemorate the 1910 Tercentenary
During the lunch break, photos were taken beside the monument created to commemorate the 1910 tercentenary. The monument displays a plaque from the city of Bristol and the Society of Merchant Venturers of Bristol containing the shield of the city of Bristol and the Society of Merchant Venturers.
Plaque from the city of Bristol and the Society of Merchant Venturers of Bristol
During the afternoon sessions, which were chaired by Mekaela Mahoney and Suzanne Brake, a number of presentations were made. Roy Dawe, Chair of Cupids 400 Inc. (left), and Harold Akerman (right) of the Cupids Historical Society made a presentation to Ruth Baker. Access to the property belonging to Ruth and the late Garland Baker was critical to the Cupids dig. The presentation was a small token of appreciation for their enthusiastic co-operation in the excavations.
The mayor of Cupids, Ron Laracy, presented his greetings and best wishes to the symposium. a paper from Laurie McLean, Archaeologist, Burnside Heritage Foundation Inc, Beothuk – European Interactions: Acknowledging the Good Within the Bad. This was followed by “Date of this Entry” – John Guy, George Dawe, Charles Garland and the Conception Bay Plantations Book of 1806 by Robert Cuff. Philip Hiscock, Philip Hiscock, Associate Professor, Dept of Folklore, Memorial University, spoke on The Legend of Sheila Na Geira: The 20th Century Looking Back. Hans Rollmann, Professor, Dept. of Religious Studies, Memorial University, presented A Tale of Two Cities: The 1910 John Guy Tercentenary at Cupids in the Crossfire of Harbour Grace and St. John’s.
Philip Hiscock, Associate Professor, Dept of Folklore, Memorial University
A banquet, catered by Skipper Ben’s , was held in the Cupids Legacy Centre. The evening’s Master of Ceremonies, Ross Dawe, first president of Cupids Historical Society and Deputy Mayor of Cupids. Joan Ritcey, Head, Centre for Newfoundland Studies, Memorial University, introduced the guest speaker, Guest speaker Patrick O’Flaherty, Professor Emeritus, Memorial University, who gave a presentation entitled Cupids Men at the National Convention.
Defensive Wall Corner from Earliest Settlement in Cupids
More photos of Symposium in Cupids on Flickr > >